I am delighted to welcome you to the beginning of a major creative project which I am embarking upon this July. Material Matters (working title) is a two year long Arts Council of Wales funded project that originated from an invitation from Ruthin Craft Centre to deliver a solo exhibition in 2020.
The project begins with a month of immersive research in the dramatic and diverse landscape around Aberystwyth. The findings will feed into studio time in which pushing the possibilities of my creative practice through the exploration of new materials, techniques and equipment will be the focus. This period will result in final exhibition pieces as the project moves towards the solo show. After opening at Ruthin Craft Centre the show is set to tour to LLantarnam Grange Arts Centre, Ceramics Gallery at Aberystwyth Arts Centre and Mission Gallery in 2020 and 2021.
Key facts about the project
- July 2019: a month long research visit to the dramatic landscapes around Aberystwyth whilst exploring the Ceramic Collection and Archive and working mainly through drawing in Creative Suite 01, Aberystwyth Arts Centre.
- 6th & 7th July 2019: Open Studio, Creative Suite 01, International Ceramics Festival, Aberystwyth Arts Centre.
- August 2019 – June 2020: a period of creative exploration, experimentation, risk taking and development will take place back in my Cardiff studio.
- July – September 2020: New and evolved collections will be exhibited first at Ruthin Craft Centre.
- September – November 2020: The exhibition tours to Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre, Cwmbran.
- November 2020 – February 2021: The exhibition tours to Ceramic Gallery, Aberystwyth Arts Centre.
- March – May 2021: The exhibition reaches its final destination at Mission Gallery, Swansea.
- July 2020 – May 2021: A range of events will be delivered at each of the galleries designed to encourage audiences to engage with me, the creative process and the exhibition pieces.
To keep up-to-date with project developments please follow this blog. Regular social media updates will also be posted on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.